Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Do you love ricotta ?

Have you ever made it?  I tried making it for the first time recently. I was skeptical so I halved the recipe so as not to have heaps to throw out when it went wrong. I was surprised. It turned out deliciously good. It took just minutes to have a lovely batch of ricotta. I could have eaten it all. Yes I would have been sick but it really was delicious. Four ingredients, milk, cream, buttermilk and salt, that's it. I've seen recipes where you can use lemon juice or vinegar instead of the buttermilk but I stuck with buttermilk. I've made several batches now and it works perfectly everytime. I've added chives and other herbs and spices to the ricotta and all have been very successful.

draining the curds
the finished ricotta

What I love about making homemade ricotta is that you can make it spreadable, crumbly or moist and creamy depending on your own preference. I don't think I will ever buy ricotta in a tub again. Fresh and yummy, go make some!

The link to the recipe I used is here

Cheers,
Lynda




2 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I will have to try this - I eat ricotta on toast almost every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you have inspired me to try this myself!

    ReplyDelete