Friday, September 16, 2011

New Yarn


This is the yarn that I ordered online from Twisted Fiber Art. It is dyed to order in graduating shades in an amount to knit a whole shawl from beginning colour until the end so there are no random colour changes caused by joining in a new skein of yarn. The yarn is amazing. There is a beautiful depth of colour and slight sheen but it also has a soft, muted, look. This yarn meets all my high expectations and it is exactly what I had in mind.

My original idea was to use this yarn and another grey yarn in the Stripe Study Shawl but now that I have the two yarns in front of me I don't think they compliment each other. I wanted the greys to be different but the shades seem to clash a little. I guess that is the trouble with picking yarn sight unseen from online.


I've imagined this shawl for weeks now as I wanted for the yarn to arrive. I could see the greys contrasting beautifully with the strong pop of orange along the border and graduating up the shawl and now I am disappointed and confused.

What am I going to do? Advice please and thank you!

Cheers,
Lynda

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I see what you mean. One is a cool gray the other is warm. But the grays do need to be different shades to differentiate between stripes. Hmmm... I think I would go ahead and try it - you can always rip back if you don't like it. The colors look just fine with the other gray skein so maybe it would work out? The rows are very small at first so the bulk of the color would be in the larger portions knit towards the end and the gray is only two little lines in between the big blocks of color - but the side with the short rows will be the deciding factor. Unless you can find some yarn locally I'd say go for it! Be brave! You can always turn it into something else later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about using a black yarn instead of the contrasting grey? Too much?

    ReplyDelete