Friday, June 10, 2011

Send in the Clowns


Attracted by the colourful flyers on lamp posts and the large, bright yellow and white striped big top in the main street these two went off to see the circus. Kim was rather impressed that she was called up on stage to be part of an act and they both agreed the atmosphere under the big top was electric! They enjoyed all the acts especially the motorcycle riders.

There are no more sad lions in cages, acrobats on horseback or elephants chained in the carpark. Thankfully that type of cruelty has been challenged in recent years and instead the audience sit on the edge of their seats watching death defying human acts and wondering if (maybe even hoping) something will go wrong! It's human nature I guess!

Ah! I'm happy to see the circus today is a far cry from scenes like I saw in the movie Water for Elephants that I watched over the weekend and also much different from the circus based mainly around animal acts that were so popular when I was young. Oh how the world is different when viewed through the eyes of a child.

People have a voice and they have used it to protect the animals.
The bamboo that bends is stronger than the oak that resists. ~Japanese Proverb
The circus today is like the bamboo!

Cheers,
Lynda

1 comment:

  1. Yay! That is so cool. Makes me want to go to the circus. I haven't been since I was very small.

    ReplyDelete