Tuesday, August 3, 2010

HONEY BEE


Little honey bee is very very cute. The pattern is from the Knitted Bears All Dressed Up book by Val Pierce. There are 20 wee bears to make and I for one won't be able to stop at just this one. The basic bear pattern is the same for all but there are different outfits for the bears. There is a baby bear, a bride and groom, a football bear, even a knitting bear so it will be a difficult choice to make but I think my next attempt will be the ladybird bear. These small bears knit up so quickly in DK yarn and are great for using up leftover scraps of yarn for the clothing.
The other knitting project that I have going at the moment is the Not A Drop scarf by Arlene's World of Lace. It is a lovely pattern but requires concentration in the beginning at least to make sure you don't lose any of the yarn overs. I made a mistake last night and haven't looked at it again today because I fear I might have to pull it out and start over. I hope not!
Cheers,
Lynda

3 comments:

  1. Don't fear the knitting! I hope you don't have to rip back, too. The bear is so darling! A ladybug bear would be so precious - will Kaylee be getting her little mitts on them?? I know mine would be carrying them around everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi was wondering if you could help... I've got this book and am trying to make my first bear (the baby), although am a bit unsure from the instructions as to making it up... what is flat stitch, and how do you attach the arms? Any help would be great thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adele, a flat seam is used on these bears because you want to eliminate bulk in the seam because they are small. It is done by holding the right sides facing you and catching only the edge loop of the garter stitches. The needle and thread makes a zig zag stitch as you work across from side to side. Pull the yarn firm enough to make a close but flat seam. As for the arms I just sewed several stitches back and forth through the arm and into the body and back again until it was attached securely for little children to play with it. Take note of the pictures for placement of the arms as I placed my arms just a little bit lower than I should have. The bady bear is so sweet and one good thing is that the clothing hides a lot of the seams :) Hope that helps you out.

    ReplyDelete