Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Lorelei Shawl

Oh what a lovely project this was to crochet. The pattern is the Lorelei Shawl by Kimberly McAlindin and  the yarn I used is Moda Vera Bouvardia in the colourway Blue Mix. I was drawn to the lovely long colour runs in this yarn. The colours are beautiful and there is enough wool in the mix to make it a nice yarn to work with and especially nice to wear.

It was good to mix it up a bit and do some crochet work. I don't do that very often but this pattern appealled to me and reminded me of the crochet shawls from years ago. It was very quick to make as the main motif is about 15 cms across. The overall size of the shawl/scarf is large. It's warm, soft and squishy and perfect for this time of year in Melbourne. It worked up very fast and the only hassle was weaving in the ends that I didn't weave in during the construction part.

It is toasty warm to double over and use as a lap blanket. I've been doing that every night since I finished it.



Cheers,
Lynda

2 comments:

  1. I've been obsessed with the Lorelei Shawl in Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable, Parrot colorway, ever since Red Heart offered the pattern to show what that one colorway in "Unforgettable" could look like! Wowza! My mini tablet, frustratingly, is set in a way that alters the true colors being displayed.. And I have been waiting forever to get a chance to make what I thought was a gorgeous shawl in red and green as the predominate colors. I've held off making myself a scarf, wrap or shawl in those two colors... Thinking I'd get my skill set up, then buy the Parrot yarn and make this shawl. I have to shop online, so I was quite shocked when I recently ordered my coveted Unforgettable yarn... And upon its arrival discovered it wasn't red and green at all! More like shrimp and light teal. It's beautiful, but it's not what I see in the online pic! I don't know what to do now. I tried a Google Image search of the colorway.. Hoping to find a really pretty project for the true colors of what is still a beautiful yarn... and the Lorelei shawl must be associated with RH Unforgettable Parrot that up popped the shawl in DIFFERENT colorways! How exciting! I just love the yarn you chose for your Lorelei shawl! may I ask if the yarn and hook size you used are comparable to the RH Boutique Unforgettable yarn? And, also the hook size you used as well? I ask because you stated its a large, warm, squishy shawl... And that's exactly what I want! I ordered seversl colorways of this RH line.. And am thinking of using Sunrise to craft it in. I hope you are able to answer... But realize you simply may not be able to do so. Cant hurt to ask, right? And, I did mention seeing your shawl, in your chosen colors, is gorgeous, right? It was a pleasant surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maschelle, Sorry for the delay in replying. Both yarns are worsted weight with the Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable having more metres to the 100 grams. That being the case I would assume the Moda Vera Boutique yarn might be slightly thicker. I haven't seen the Red Heart yarn in the real. They both look very similar in texture, yarn halo and long colour run and I think depending on the tension of the crochet they would be very similar with both making a good large shawl/wrap. I used a 5mm crochet hook and I crochet on the loose side. It's a beautiful pattern and I would jump in and start making motifs. The Sunrise colour looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete