Monday, September 13, 2010

Having Fun Felting

I have accidentally felted a few good fine wool sweaters over the years and certainly not been happy about it but when one felts with wool roving it is a really enjoyable activity. At least those lovely wool sweater can be repurposed and put to good use so all is not lost :)  

But this roving is going to be a cusion cover. I began by felting the grey/white/black wool roving into strips that I alternated with solid black wool strips that I already had.  I sewed the seams on the outside as there is no fraying because the edges are well felted. This adds to the overall look and texture of the cushion cover.

Because I was working with such small strips I used the most basic felting technique of laying the roving between two layers of bubble wrap and wetting it with a little water and detergent and getting to work until it came together. A few dips in hot and cold water, a rub here and there and a quick dry in the tumble dryer and it was done.

Well worth a little bit of effort!

 


Cheers,
Lynda

3 comments: